Thursday 12 March 2015

Social Object: First prototype

First prototype, I have found several tutorial on Youtube on how to make EMF Detector at home with arduino, which i am very excited to test it out myself, so I follow the instruction, which is as simple as one LED, one 3.3 megaohm resistor and a jump wires.



The jump wire acts like a prop in this setup to receive ambient energy(EMF) into analog pin, the 3.3 megaohm resistor is a pull-down resistor, to prevent the input from floating. If the input is floating, it won't have a potential, and the readings will be inaccurate due to the input erratically causing the LED's to blink. By adding the pull-down resistor, an electric potential is set as well as a stable "low" for the pin. 3.3megaohms appears to be a effective resistance for filtering out noise from actual EMF.




As i built mine prototype from the instruction of the video, I didnt really believe it would be that easy, it turned out I was right, Although this design is able to detect much AC current EMF, in terms of DC current electronics did not work as well as, I am struggling with this problem, I suspect that the prop isn't long enough hence the arduino cannot find any DC current, but not until I tested my theory I will know if I am correct or not at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment