Thursday 19 March 2015

Social Object: What is EMF?

So from the very beginning, I have been talking about EMF the whole time,  I gave a brief introduction to EMF. But there is something else that is missing which causes my first two prototype going in a wrong direction.

It turns out, there are three types of EMF, ELF(Extremely Low Frequency), RF(Radio Frequency), and Microwave Frequency. As the graph shows below:



The ELF is lowest frequency waves in the EMF, it's generally between 0-300Hz generated by AC power. So home appliances that requires the main power supply are detected, which is shown in the tutorial video as well as in my testes, I was able to find wallplug, light switches and lights emitting EMF.


The second one is Radio Waves, in range of 3Hz-300GHz. The type of waves is commonly used in TV and radio communications. It's much higher frequency.Naturally occurring radio waves are made by lightning, or by astronomical objects. Artificially generated radio waves are used for fixed and mobile communication, broadcasting, radar, and other navigation system, satellites, computer networks and many more other appliances.  


The third one is Microwave, with frequency between 300MHz-300GHz, not too desimilarto Radio Waves. Microwave is often connected with microwave oven that cooks food, in fact it has many uses and many of them overlaid with what radio waves is been used. WIFI, cellular phones and Bluetooth are the products of microwaves. 


Hence, I will change my project direction, or in a more detailed direction I should say. I was just diving into the world of EMF and found something to try, now have more understanding of EMF I will be focusing on detecting microwaves and radio waves, as those two are used in communication technology. ELF will just be part of research and I won't do anything more on that part in this project.






No comments:

Post a Comment