Thursday 9 October 2014

Sound Walk

Sound walk. Sound in Interaction Design could be a feedback of the design or sense of direction.
At first in the studio, we did a little exercise, close our eyes for 1 minutes and focus on all the sound around us, during this 1 minute, I noticed that the environment I am at, in this case the studio, is far from silent, there was the noise of fan from the projector, sound people walking by the studio, the breath of two classmates sitting next to me, the construction site outside the building, traffic, airplane flying by...all sort of sound but silence.

This is quite interesting because that many, if not most of the design work is base on the sense of seeing, not hearing. we the designers and students often focus on what we see, the colours, shape, functionality of objects.

Sound, like images and text, could send messages, or feelings to the audiences, There is the noise we like also we don`t like, By doing sound walk, we absorb the scene of environment we are in, in a different way, therefore we have a different feeling and opinion about this particular place.

In the afternoon, we took a walk from London Bridge through Borough Market, walked along side the river to Tate Modern and to St. Paul cathedral. We record many different type of sound, the traffic, train, , the rain, the river, the crowd....and many more.
This walk has given me a different view on this route. I walk this route every now and then with my camera, I usually focus on the scene that is worth capturing with my camera, but never really care about the noise around this area, but after today`s walk, through the recorder and my earphone for everything I heard, this proven to be an interesting day and I am looking forward to edit those clips together to complete our task.

No comments:

Post a Comment