Tuesday 4 November 2014

IDEO Methodology

We were introduced to IDEO method cards today. I have heard of those cards previously but never really look at them and use them in my projects. SO basically IDEO method cards are divided into four categories, which is: Learn, Look, Ask, Try. Each of them contain several cards with unique method can be used in design thinking. 

We were asked to rethink and redesign Drinking Water Fountain, obviously it is not the most interesting things to design, but the principle lay behind this is to get us to engage the methods of IDEO method cards. We have one week time to come up with a new design of a drinking water fountain by using the category: Learn and Look in the method card pack. As a group we choose few cards from these categories and generate a new idea.

What I think of this method card pack is that it is mighty useful for design works. When I was doing my BA projects, I often encounter the situation that I knew my workflow is not well enough, not complete enough to create a design which reach the level of mass production. Maybe it was not necessary to meet those levels as it was not required by our brief, I was still not satisfied. The designs I made were just lack of something, both in research and physical prototyping. 


And now I have been introduced to method cards, I believe that this will be able to help me with my design work, it provide many other way of thinking about or trying on something, a more creative and thorough way of designing product/services.

No comments:

Post a Comment